Luke F. Beckman

Class of 1918, 2014 Inductee

‚ÄčIn recognition for Service and Leadership

Luke played on St. Henry’s first high school basketball team in 1918.  He was also the President of the School Board in 1939 when the town voted to build a new high school.  He was an active member of St. Henry Commercial Club, and a Charter Member of the Knights of Columbus. 

He was part owner of the general store which still stands across from the church.  This store was the largest general store in the county in 1922.  Luke and his family then formed the Beckman and Gast Company.  

He served on City Council, the Board of Public Affairs, the Legislative Committee of the National Canners Association from 1946 until his retirement in 1986. Beckman received the J.D. Brown Award in 1970. The “Man of the Year” Award is given for distinguished service to the canning industry. Luke became President of the Ohio Canners Association in 1948 and served until 1949. After joining the National Canners Association in 1927, he became President in 1970. Over the years, he served on 9 different committees for the group.

Return to Alumni Page